Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Project Quilting Off-Season April

Project Quilting is hosting off-season challenges and that are really fun.  Last month it was based off your sign.  I'm a Pisces and I love the water.  Seriously, if I could spend all day every day in the water I would be happy.  So they say that a Pisces is the chameleon of the zodiac.  A pair of fish represents Pisces which suggests that they "go with the flow" and they "don't make waves".  Generally I am like that but lately I am fighting back.  Pisces also like to immerse themselves in creative outlets.  And to top it off, they like to relax by participating is sports, water sports specifically.

Well hey, here I am, I love anything that has to do with water especially kayaking.  I am a happy beach and river girl and I have to say the more waves the better.  And I love to be creative so I guess you can say that I mostly fit in the Pisces mold.

So I thought and I thought and changed my mind quite a bit.  The only thing that remained the same was I wanted something to do with kayaking in my little quilt.  I was looking at finishing piecing my kayak blocks that I designed but I hit a slump this month and had other things come up.  Then when looking though some boating pictures the Pyranha brand was popping out of each picture, what could be better!?!



So here is my Pyranha mini quilt.  You might be thing, only one fish?  Well, although I usually go with the flow, lately I have been fighting back and I will swim as hard as I have to to get back to where I was.


I printed the Pyranha onto a light blue batik and framed it with other bright batiks that represent me.  I backed it with a pieced back representing my boat with the red, the water with the blue, and stormy way I have been feeling and fighting with the swirls.  


It is bound with the blue I used in the front and I even hand stitched the binding (gasp!).

I will celebrate like this again someday!


1 comment:

  1. I am a Pisces too. I was reading your description and thought "that's me!" I am excited to work at Shippensburg University in the fall so that I can use their pool. I need to call you to catch up with you! Love the quilt and what each piece represents.

    ReplyDelete