Friday, October 31, 2014

Garden Maze Quilt - Bloggers Quilt Festival

I am sharing with you today a very special quilt that I created which was inspired from a picture of a wall in a magazine.  This quilt has many hours of work into it and I am excited to share it with you.


This quilt is called Garden Maze.  The green in it makes me think of a hedge maze.  Green is not usually my color that I go to but when I decided to see if I could make this quilt it was the largest piece of fabric in my stash, 3 yards.  It is a pretty green batik with leaves.  The white is Kona white.


When I started the quilt I made some squares of strips and quickly realized that it wasn't going to work how I planned.  The lines were not lining up and causing me a lot of stress.  I was able to, after much stress, cutting, adding, mumbling, and frustration, figure out how to make it all work.


I had the top finally completed in July and let it sit for a bit while I decided how to quilt it.  


In August I pulled it out again and set to quilting it.  I did a squiggle stitch in all of the white lines of the quilt.  This is quilted on a home sewing machine, a Singer.


I just popped in a couple audio books and went to town.  This took just over 14 hours to quilt it.  It was a bit tough to wrestle it through the machine, but thanks to spray basting it there was no shifting of fabrics as I shoved it through.  (Seriously, shoved!)


I am in love with this quilting ans so proud of how even the stitching is.  


I know, lots of pictures, but I can't help it.  


Following all the lines was not easy.


I backed it in a solid white and just love how the quilting really pops.  The design really stands out.  




Love all the quilting!


I bound it in a batik green which frames both the front and back so well.



Garden Maze 
63" x 64"
Batik green and Kona white
Pellon 100% cotton batting
Coats and Clark machine quilting thread

So in love with this quilt! 


I am entering this quilt in to Bloggers Quilt Festival in the Large Quilt Category.  I hemmed and hawed over where to place it.  I knew, though, that I had to enter it.  I am super proud of this quilt.  

Head over to Amy's Creative Side and check out all of the amazing quilts in the festival.  


11 comments:

  1. It's an intreaging layout. Love how you used only one color and still makes it look interesting. Love this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe you quilted this on a Singer. You did a fantastic job. The design is great and the simple colors are the best. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome! Say do you have a route through the maze? I would have added a light thread trail through the maze route to get people to look even closer and make a little game of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right to be proud. It really is a great quilt! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This incredible! I can only imagine what went into making this master piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally wowed by the quilting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there any chance you would share/sell your plan for this quilt? My e-mail is Shahann at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an interesting quilt! It is just peaceful - like sitting in a garden. I love 2 color quilts. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very cool - love love love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool. I like your choice in quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW - this is a showstopper!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete